rlnx04 and rmds00 (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 03 Oct 1998 12:52:24 -0500
From: "Maguire, Charles F" <charles.f.maguire@vanderbilt.edu>
To: RCF List Server <rhic-rcf-l@bnl.gov>
Cc: phenix-off-l <phenix-off-l@bnl.gov>
Subject: rlnx04 and rmds00

Dear RCF staff,

	The rlnx04 platform does not see any directories in the
/phenix/mds location, or /star/mds.  This should be fixed so that
rlnx04 can be used to access files on the old MDS whenever the old MDS
returns to accessible service.

	Since its reboot at about 11:30 AM this morning, the rmds00
server looks to be pinned at ~99% I/O wait state, such that a
even a directory listing of an MDS area (e.g. /phenix/mds or /star/mds)
cannot be completed from the rlnx01 machine.  If one logs in directly
to rmds00, the directory listings works normally.  For all practical
purposes, files on the MDS are inaccessible in finite amounts of time
except when looked at directly using rmds00.

	Is the 99% I/O wait state and its apparent effect on the NFS
due to MDC1 activity or some other present operations on the old MDS?
If so, when to you think the old MDS might get its I/O wait state out
of the stratosphere?

Thanks,
Charlie

Maguire, Charles F