hpss-local disk mapping

Hi gcdev'ers,

I have been thinking lately about the HPSS path
to local disk path mapping.  Our stated requirement for
MDC2 says that a single HPSS directory is OK.  However,
this is not very satisfying and not workable in the long
run.  I have discovered that one can make links in HPSS
using HSI.  These links are similar to hard links on
UFS rather than symbolic links but I think that is fine
for our use.
So, we would be able to take an arbitrary set of file
paths in HPSS and create a set of links in a HPSS
directory that the cache manager knows of in order to
stage files.  It would only be necessary that file names
are unique.

Bottom line is I think we are OK for using an arbitrary
set of file paths in HPSS and a cache manager that
only knows of a single HPSS directory, for MDC2.
I have been searching a bit for more complex solutions
but I think this is a good default.

Doug

Douglas