file position on tape

Hi Henrik (et al),

Dave Z. and I spoke with John Riordan (and Ed and Razvan) yesterday
about getting information of where files are on tape.
The thing that looks like it should be easy to do is to
get the list, for a class of service (COS), of
filenames, tape number, and position (order) of file on tape.
I was thinking that you could use this along with the
list of files that go into the GC index to include the
information about tape number and order on tape.
Then it would be possible (conceptually) to include this
tape information in the policy decisions about what
order to retrieve files.
Dave will be back at LBL on Thursday and can talk to you
about it, and probably show you an example of a file that
has the tape information.  If you recall, he got information
like that about the files we used at the end of MDC1.
Why don't you think about that and consider whether it
is possible to use it in MDC2.

Thanks,
Doug

BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
N:Olson;Douglas;;
FN:Douglas Olson
ORG:Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
TEL;WORK;VOICE:(510) 486-4567
TEL;WORK;FAX:(510) 486-4818
ADR;WORK;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:;50A-2140A;1Cyclotron Rd.=0D=0AMS  50A-1148;Berkeley;CA;94720;US
LABEL;WORK;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:50A-2140A=0D=0A1Cyclotron Rd.=0D=0AMS  50A-1148=0D=0ABerkeley, CA 94720=0D=
=0AUS
EMAIL;PREF;INTERNET:dlolson@lbl.gov
REV:19980806T150422Z
END:VCARD