Fw: protocol for creating new toy databases

-----Original Message-----
From: dave zimmerman <zimm@sseos.lbl.gov>
To: Doug Olson <olson@sseos.lbl.gov>; zimm <zimm>
Date: Monday, April 20, 1998 3:46 PM
Subject: protocol for creating new toy databases

>Hi Doug,
>heres the plan Ive been following with the toydatabases.
>
>The situation is
>
>/scrgc/data01/dbases/db_30001 Luis
>/scrgc/data01/dbases/db_30002 David Malon
>/scrgc/data02/dbases/db_30003 Mark Pollack
>Note he's on the other disk.
>/scrgc/data01/dbases/db_30004 Open to be claimed
>/scrgc/data01/dbases/db_30005 Zimm
>/scrgc/data01/dbases/db_30006 Zimm
>/scrgc/data01/dbases/db_30007 Open to be claimed
>
>Just for the record:
>/dev/dsk/c0t2d0s2    21324537 10260027 8932060    54%    /scrgc/data01
>/dev/dsk/c0t4d0s2    21324537 14192588 4999499    74%    /scrgc/data02
>
>data02 has all the raw data as well as one big federation, Mark's db
>and a lot of other stuff.  It might be a good place for a cleanup if we
>run out of space.  I think there may be multiple copies of raw data.
>
>data01 has 2 big federations and the 7 toy databases.
>
>--
>* Dr. David Zimmerman,                                *
>* E.O. Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory                    *
>* EMail: DMZimmerman@lbl.gov       WWW: www-rnc.lbl.gov/~zimm/  *
>* Phone: (510)-486-6349             Fax:(510)-486-4818 *

Protocol to add to the set of Toy Data Bases on pdsf

The directory
/scrgc/data01/dbases
is where I have been putting all of the tag databases Ive set up.

there is a separate directory for each one.  The name of which is
db_XXXXXX
where XXXXX is the federation ID of the database.  For these data bases
I thought we could reserve 29998 and 29999 for administrative purposes
and have 30001-30100 as the set of FIDs for the toy data bases.

so, make a subdirectory here for the new data base.

Copy the setup.com file from one of the other database directories.

Change the default directory and Federation ID to the appropriate FID.
setenv OO_FD_BOOT       /scrgc/data01/dbases/db_XXXXX/test1.fdboot
setenv OBJY_FDID 	XXXXX
Also one should edit the lines
echo"**************************************************
echo"This is an open data base. Change this line if you start to use it.
echo"**************************************************
to something more like
echo"***************************************************
echo"This is David Malon's toy data base.  Dont touch it.
echo"***************************************************

Do an oocopyfd to create a new federation.  To do this, first source
the setup.com in the /scrgc/data01/dbases/db_template/
so as to point at the template federation.

do
oocopyfd -fdnumber XXXXX (as above) -dirpath db_XXXXX/
If you are in the dbases directory.

This gives you a copy of the template federation.
The template database doesnt have an attachment of any data bases (for
ease of copying etc), but there is a file in the db_template directory.

Do a unix copy of
auau_ce_b0-2_1_200.db to the directory db_XXXXX

Now, go to your new directory, source the setup.com file
and finish with an ooattachdb to link it to your new federation.

ooattachdb -db auau_ce_b0-2_1_200 -filepath auau_ce_b0-2_1_200.db -id 201

(note the -id flag)

If you want to start using more diverse directories, go to one of the
big federations, source the setup.com, do an oocopydb to
grab one of the files

oocopydb -db dbSystemName -outfile dbSystemName.db

and attach it to where you want it to go.