RE: Tests settup for MDC1

Does this test move the data files or is it really just testing
the index?

> 3)  To make the length of time realistic we think that it should be
> proportional to the number of events in a file.  There will be two
> methods of doing that:
>       a) a fixed parameter per event that we can vary for each test
>            (e.g. 1, 30, 1000 sec - corresponding to different analysis
> types:
>            Hadron, event-by-event, etc.)

The range 1-1000 sec/event is about right for STAR, large events.
To simulate small STAR events or other experiments the time/event
should be able to go below 1 sec.  I.e., don't use integer seconds
for this time, either floating point or integer milliseconds.

> In addition to measuring performance, we hope to discover with the above
> controlled experiments the bottleneck in the system for various query
> mixes.  If the event processing time is very small, we will expect the
> caching of files from tape to be the bottleneck.  If the event
> processing is very long, we expect the cache size to be the bottleneck.
> It will be interesting to find the event processing time that balances
> the two.

I think the issue of one vs. two tape drives is important and relevent to
most measurements, so you need to consider when these measurements
can be made.

> Another test we may want to do (if we have the time) is to launch lots
> of queries (100-1000) simultaneously to test the robustness of the
> system, and perhaps the performance of Objectivity in such cases.

For "real" queries with star or phenix analysis code running we will
probably hit memory limits before getting 100 queries on rmds03.
I do think it is good ro run the number of queries up to the point
things fall apart tho.

Doug