Re: 2-tape drive testing

>  I was thinking a little more about the 2-tape drive issue.
>  Rather than arange to have 2 drives put into one class
>  of service so that an individual tape may go into either
>  drive, what about just spreading files over 2 existing
>  classes of service.  When we retrieve them, a given file
>  will always go to the same tape drive, but we will
>  know that the files are spread across at least 2 tapes.
>  We can also do this without a reconfiguration of hpss.
>
>  Doug

   Wouldn't this imply that Luis would need to know the class of
   service, rather than just the HPSS path, for every file?  I know he uses
   setcos with a fixed number in his pftp scripts now.  If Luis
   needs to write code to accommodate this approach, it becomes a matter of
   resources and time (GCA effort vs RCF effort?); I think Luis is also
   working on a couple of other issues (we've been running with cmanager.old,
   for example).

   Luis, what would implementing Doug's suggestion require on your part?

   Perhaps this is something we should discuss at the GCA phone meeting.

   David