RE: Handling ROOT files

Hi,
There is no file ID (or system name in objy lingo) for ROOT file in a
central repository.
Just the file name, no different than if it was an ascii file.  The list of
file names could be generated by a listing of files in HPSS directories.
There is a TChain class that represents a collection of root files which
will be used for an analysis pass.  It has methods to get the list of files
in the chain and so on.
http://root.cern.ch/root/html/TChain.html
I guess the ROOT Tagdb could have for each entry the filename and event
number, even though seems a bit wasteful, it might be an easy direct
approach.  The data is compressed before writing to disk so it will not be
such a big deal.  Since the Tagdb for the ROOT version has yet to be
designed it can contain whatever information needed.  One could pass the
list of filename + event IDs in that file to analysis code.
Mark