objy on linux.

Hi everyone,

I sat down with Shigeki today to do some simple tests of Objectivity on
Linux and here is what we discovered.

The lockserver on Linux can not be accessed from Solaris and vice versa.
So this means that a single federation can not be accessed from both
platforms.

We then created two federations and filled them with the same schema
definitions.
I filled the linux federation with some data.  Then doing an oocopydb
(from the Linux federation) followed by an ooattachdb (on the sun
federation)
did not work.  Has anyone else tried this?   Dave Stampf mentioned in
passing
that this should work.....

If these tests are correct then we have to decide how to arrange the
pieces.  If we want access from both parts of the Central Analysis Facility
(the sun machine and the linux boxes) I believe we will then have to create
two separate federations from some intermediate format.

Other tests of where you can create, fill, play with the federation:

fed db on	access from	ok (yes/no)
sun NFS export	linux	yes
linux NFS export	linux	no
IBM NFS export	linux	no
linux AMS	linux	yes
sun AMS	linux	no

Opinions, thoughts, questions...

On the positive side, once I could write to the federation the objy
d_session, d_environment
+ all of my classes etc compiled with out serious problems.

Mark

p.s.  There is a very serious bug in the Objy ODMG time classes which make
them
unusable. (well d_Date and d_Interval probably work, but d_Time and
d_Timestamp
just have the wrong time) I have been in contact with Objy about this but I
am not too hopeful
that this will be resolved quickly.  Very disappointing.....I am mocking up
a time class
based on the ROOT time class that adds some ODMG like methods if anyone
is interested in it.