Re: objy on linux.

Hi Mark,

Mark Pollack wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I sat down with Shigeki today to do some simple tests of Objectivity on
> Linux and here is what we discovered.

> The lockserver on Linux can not be accessed from Solaris and vice versa.
> So this means that a single federation can not be accessed from both
> platforms.

> We then created two federations and filled them with the same schema
> definitions. I filled the linux federation with some data.  Then doing an
> oocopydb
> (from the Linux federation) followed by an ooattachdb (on the sun
> federation) did not work.  Has anyone else tried this?   Dave Stampf
> mentioned in
> passing that this should work.....
>
> If these tests are correct then we have to decide how to arrange the
> pieces.  If we want access from both parts of the Central Analysis Facility
> (the sun machine and the linux boxes) I believe we will then have to create
> two separate federations from some intermediate format.

> Other tests of where you can create, fill, play with the federation:
>
> fed db on       access from     ok (yes/no)
> sun NFS export  linux   yes
> linux NFS export        linux   no
> IBM NFS export  linux   no
> linux AMS       linux   yes
> sun AMS linux   no

I can add,
   linux AMS  sun  no

> Opinions, thoughts, questions...

I guess since linux-objy can access a federation on sun NFS, one could
set up a linux only federation for some GC tests.  I believe that the only
SM-component currently using objy is the CacheManager - for getting the
file information.  Technically, the file info could be a retrieved from
a remote process (on linux) but this isn't in the current CM design.
I've also not tried to build the user-code on linux since we had discussed
it to be likely that we'd restrict ourselves to Solaris for the GC-tests.

Question:  have you been working with objectivity from
/afs/rhic/oodb/solaris4?
When I had a problem with this installation (now fixed), I switched over
to a local objy-installation. Since then I've not spent much time using the
/afs/rhic/oodb/solaris4 version.

> On the positive side, once I could write to the federation the objy
> d_session, d_environment
> + all of my classes etc compiled with out serious problems.
>
> Mark
>
> p.s.  There is a very serious bug in the Objy ODMG time classes which make
> them
> unusable. (well d_Date and d_Interval probably work, but d_Time and
> d_Timestamp
> just have the wrong time) I have been in contact with Objy about this but I
> am not too hopeful
> that this will be resolved quickly.  Very disappointing.....I am mocking up
> a time class
> based on the ROOT time class that adds some ODMG like methods if anyone
> is interested in it.

Yes I am interested in this.  I'd not tested the Objy-ODMG time classes
but have begun using the d_sesssion & d_environment stuff.

  Jeff