RE: file position on tape

> In the long run, it may be that
> file order on tape may be one of the more effective optimizations.
>
> Doug

That's correct, but it may be enough just to know the tape on which a
file is is placed, if it is indeed true that HPSS will optimize read
order of files out of the same tape.

We have observed in previous runs that files are cached in an order
different than the order of the PFTP requests.  We suspect (and Keith
says it is supposed to be so) that this is because HPSS orders the
PFTPs so that it minimizes going back and forth on the tape.

Arie.