Abstract for CHEP98 presentation for the STAR tag database

Dear Challengers,
Below you will find the abstract which I submitted to the CHEP98
conference for a talk about the STAR tag data base.  Please let me know
if you have any comments or concerns about the text and I will be happy
to update it.
cheers
david

	The STAR experiment at RHIC will begin taking data in summer 1999.  In
a typical running year we expect to record some several hundred
terabytes of raw data consisting of 10's of millions of events.

	In order to allow efficient analysis of these
event data STAR has implemented a tag database. This tag database is a
collection of event summary objects for each event. These objects
correspond to a small set of event characteristic variables which have
been selected from each stage of data processing as being particularly
useful for a fast selection of an event sample from the full STAR data
set.  Each tag data base object containers a pointer to the event
header of its corresponding event.  By following these pointers an
analysis program is able to select the event components required for an
analysis.

	I will report on the design and initial implementation of the
STAR tag data base.